Saturday, May 12, 2012

Second Surgery

After my second surgery and I was feeling better, I started to be able to think that everything was going to be okay.  It was nice to be able to do things I wanted without having to worry about what kind of pain I was going to have and if I would be put in a situation that I would be 'stuck'.                                                                                                                                                   
Being stuck was the absolute worst part about the pain I was normally in.   There were times I would be at work and literally could not move.  The way I can describe it is if you picture yourself sitting at your desk and someone comes in and ties a barb wire to keep you in one position from inside your belly and the slightest move starts the wire turning and tearing.   Sometimes it lasts 20 minutes, sometimes it lasts an hour or more.  The times it took more than an  hour were the times I called the hospital.   The only pain I was in after my second surgery was before and during my still heavy cycles.   Trust me, after constant endo pain I can deal with 3 - 5 days of extreme pain gladly. 

It was then that Dr. B and I started trying to slow the endo and give my body a break again.  Over the next two years I can't tell you how many patches, pills and hormones we tried.  All having some sort of estrogen in them and nothing worked. *we now know that endo tends to be fueled by estrogen, had we found out 8 - 10 years ago, it would not have changed my story, but hopefully now no one is being given added doses of estrogen as a treatment* Since nothing was working and my pain was being managed, I took some time off of trying anything and did not even see Dr. B for a while.

A year later, I knew the endo was back but it was pissed and had a vengeance I did not know possible.  The normal stuck & tearing fun was there but it was joined by a ripping localized fury that was where my one remaining ovary was.   This was not expected and sent me calling Dr. B in tears and fortunately, they were able to get me in where we started all over again.   

1 comment:

  1. Wow Marybeth, I had no idea you had gone through so much. It's so hard to understand why your endo wasn't found earlier. I don't know much about it,but it sounds aweful.I don't know much about blogs either...but I wish you all the luck in the world! You are a very brave girl!I bet this blog will help others,while helping you too. So glad you have John by your side.

    ReplyDelete